The Violet Files
Ultra Violet Eyes
A Vibrant Gaze
A letter from Violet
AT VIOLET GREY, WE ARE INSPIRED BY BEAUTY FROM THE PAST AND PRESENT; FROM ICONIC SCREEN SIRENS TO RECENT EDITORIALS. WE CALL ON BEAUTY EXPERTS TO RECREATE THESE LOOKS AND TAKE YOU THROUGH EACH, STEP BY STEP — SO YOU CAN GET THE LOOK, NO BEAUTY TECHNICIAN REQUIRED.
In this file, makeup artist Beau Nelson skipped past softer shades like lavender and lilac, instead selecting an electric wash of violet for eyes. He walks us through each meticulous step to create a look that is startlingly pretty but hardly sweet.
TutorialBY BEAU NELSON
STEP 1 Line
Start by applying black eye liner to the upper and lower lashlines. Blink hard several times to naturally smudge and meld the liner into lashes.
MAC Eye Kohl in Smolder
STEP 2 Shadow
Apply a purple cream shadow with a dome shaped blending brush all over the lid and slightly above your crease. Use a smaller brush to apply the color on the lower lash line, starting from the outer edge of the eye. Taper the width of the shadow as you move towards the tear duct.
Bobbi Brown Metallic Long-Wear Cream Shadow in Starry Purple
STEP 3 Pigment
To give the eye depth, punch, and longevity, tap on pigment powder over the cream shadow with a small brush.
MAC Pigment in Violet
STEP 4 Mascara
Several coats of black mascara will add depth and a certain toughness to the overall look. Apply individual lashes in varying lengths for a more dimensional and voluminous lash line.
Tom Ford Beauty Extreme Mascara in Raven
STEP 5 Brows
Fill in brows at the ends with a brow pencil to give them more shape. Then tame them into place with a clear brow gel.
Bobbi Brown Natural Brow Shaper & Hair Touchup in Clear
@ The Wall Group
When speaking with the native Canadian, you’ll find yourself leaning in closer. Yes, to hear his soft, whispering voice but also to gaze at his seemingly poreless, immaculate complexion. As an accomplished makeup artist, his skin is his calling card, and one of the many reasons the likes of Kristen Stewart, Natalie Portman, and Jessica Biel will request his artistry for their red carpet appearances. His penchant for perfection, however, extends beyond the makeup chair. Here are five reasons why VIOLET GREY loves Beau Nelson.
- TAILOR MADE: During New York fashion week’s off-season, the artist will commission pieces with Oscar de la Renta’s patternmakers because off-the-rack sometimes isn’t couture enough for his particular tastes, including cotton t-shirts.
- SWEET TOOTH: The artist’s second passion is baking. His most requested treat includes a batch of chocolate chip cookies. The secret recipe calls for Jacques Torres chocolate and a dose of special vanilla extract (he’ll never tell which one though).
- ON THE NOSE: For about five to ten hours a week, the artist is researching and studying the art of perfumery for his own range of perfumes.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: Before his makeup career took off, Nelson interned at a retouching company. Since then he’s used his skills to Photoshop potential makeup looks onto actresses’ faces to then show them options the night of the event. It’s his way of streamlining an otherwise hectic day, like the Academy Awards.
- ECLECTIC TASTES: With a music library that includes 20,000 songs and a love for “down tempo electronic” music, the artist dreams of possibly becoming a DJ in his next life.
“Makeup is about discovering an aspect of a WOMAN, whether it’s her power or sensuality, and bringing that forward.” Tweet This
Q:What is always in your kit?
“Great for the face or body, it will give skin a luminous sheen, not sparkle.“
1 of 4
“The ultimate nude that will lengthen the look of your hand.“
2 of 4
“The formula is a rich black that gives lashes volume and length at the same time.”
3 of 4
“Melts away any trace of makeup and softens skin.”
4 of 4